Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Play Like It’s 1989

C’est le temps de la revanche. After taking slack from Canuck and Maple Leaf fans for years, oh how the tables have turned. Since no one knows what’ll happen in the playoffs I thought I’d take this little moment to gloat, and though I have to admit I’d cheer for a Canadian team over an American team any day, I’d also give anything right now to see those arrogant smugs wiped off those silly Toronto faces. If you’re a Toronto fan, feel free to send me pictures of yourself pre and post season, and I’ll be sure to post them in my next blog. Promise.

Readers, if you’re in the same mood as me, here’s a wee Instigator cartoon that’ll bring tears of laughter/joy to your eyes. To quote my buddy Ed “… the Leafs are done, which is one step in the right direction for the civilized world.”

Alright, that’s enough, let’s not forget Karma. However, I will say one thing. Honestly stepping back as an objective observer, I like the Flames this year to go all the way. Why? Because their strengths are exactly the kind of qualities that win Cups. A team concept, a hot Vezina/MVP-calibre goalie and most of all, more heart than any team in the entire league. Any one of those things can win you a Cup all on its own! I keep reading over and over again how the Flames weakness lies in their lack of scoring, how they don’t tally enough goals to be a threat in the post-season and how this’ll haunt them down the stretch. However, I think people need to start looking at it from the other angle - Sutter and the Flames have managed to make a defensive approach successful in a league where changes have been made expressly to encourage offense. Scoring is the highest it’s been in years, penalties for clutching and grabbing are being called left right and centre and the Flames, with the 4th lowest goal scoring in the league, pulled in 103 points. This is by far one of the most startling achievements in the entire league this season.

Simply put, offense wins games, defense wins championships, and Calgary far and away has the lowest goals against of any NHL team. Not to jinx it, but this could be the year!

As for the east, I’m cheering for the Habs. Why? Ask yourself which team was the only one to win a Stanley Cup in the Montreal Forum besides the Canadiens, and you’ll have your answer. Besides, how epic would a Kipper-Huet duel be? This is the stuff legends are made of.

In honour of this year’s momentous achievements and the ones I see coming, I’ve posted a few photos I downloaded way back in 2004, when I was all the way in Scotland staying up late at night listening to the Flames’ Cup run on online radio. I get excited just looking at them.

GO FLAMES GO!!

P.S. – What’s this I hear about the popo cracking down on the red mile? Say it ain’t so!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flames are the best stanley cup runner-ups !!!!

I wonder who they will lose to this year in the finals....

Muskoka Jay.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, the 5-0 aren't crackin down that bad on the red mile, it's still crazy down there, just no more flashing :(
FLAMES RULE!!!

P.S. Im coming to Germany on June 4, get ready to party in Europe bitch!!!!
I'll email you soon.

Rico

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NANA na NA NANA na NA....Hey Hey HEY....GOODBYE !!!!

LOL...Flames tee of times available online

Muskoka Jay

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home